11.10.12

Summer Past

So, here it is...the first of October and it's just sinking in, from the calendar and the cooler temperatures, that summer in the Maritimes is fading and autumn is taking center stage. It is, of course, the way the seasons roll...spring, summer, autumn and winter...summer just flew by so fast! It was a full summer and much of it, I was remembering today.
The summer began with a bang with my graduation from my nursing course as did the family visits (my dad flew out to see me graduate...a big deal seeing as they live West and we live East). My dad and mom both came a couple of weeks later for their annual summer trip East so we were able to see both parents and a few of the extended family members who we haven't seen in a while. Later in July, Jeff's parents came to visit with our niece & nephew (I haven't seen them in quite a number of years). We had fun exploring some of the touristy things-to-do in the city. It was super awesome to be able to see both families this year!

Camping has become a regular summer routine over the last couple of years, especially since we discovered the hidden jewel of Grand Manan with our camping buddies last year. We made it over to Grand Manan early in the summer and that was unfortunately the only time we were able to get over this summer. We did go later in the summer to Fundy National Park since it is closer to where we live as we had to work that trip in around my work schedule. It was fun none-the-less, and a much needed rest.

This summer was one of transition as I moved out of my minimum wage job and into my professional career, but unfortunately, most nurses start out taking a casual position and I'm no different. Through the summer, I had scheduled shifts but beyond that, nothing is a guarantee. Trying to plan anything like a camping trip can be quite challenging with a casual schedule. So far, we've been able to make a couple of trips but not much beyond that. Coming up, Jeff is making a trip to Pennsylvania with some other friends from our home group to attend a conference but unfortunately, I will not be able to go with.

Though my schedule is that of a casual employee, we are still trying to plan travel trips as best we can. If we're coming to a neighbourhood near you, we'll let you know. Let me leave you with this video as a reminder of summer and looking forward to summers to come. (I had no idea the camera was running when Jeff recorded this. Marshmallows were harmed in the making of this film!) Enjoy!




No comments: